Last updated on February 13th, 2019 at 11:43 pmReading Time: 4 minutes
HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2018
Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated in the United States of America and especially in Canada. While this occasion is not as common as in southern countries, it is celebrated on a large scale in some of the Caribbean Islands and Liberia. This day is supposed to be a beloved national holiday all over the countries where Thanksgiving is celebrated especially in America. As the name suggests, on this day people are thankful for the number of blessings in their lives. They are grateful for each and everything present in their lives or happening with them. They are appreciative towards their family members, friends, food and a roof over their head. Thanksgiving is always celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States while in Canada; it is celebrated on the second Monday of October. It is also celebrated in Japan and Germany but with different names.
This year Thanksgiving 2018 is being celebrated on 22nd November in the United States of America. It is a cultural tradition which began as a day of expressing gratitude and thanks for the blessing of the harvest and for the blessings of the previous years.
Why Thanksgiving is celebrated as the World’s largest holiday?
Most families follow traditions that began on the first Thanksgiving itself, but many have their own traditions of doing the thanksgiving. Here are some of the reasons why Thanksgiving is celebrated as World’s largest holiday:
- Travel:- One of the best things about this day is spending time with family. Many people live far from their families and hometown friends but on this day they wish to be together and for that, they either travel by car, train or plane to be with their beloved ones to celebrate this auspicious occasion. Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel days of the year.
- The feast:- Traditional foods are a large part of the Thanksgiving celebration. Many families include the entire family in the food preparation so as to do something fun and show their humbleness and gratefulness towards this day. Traditional foods include Turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, mashed potato, and cranberry sauce. Most of the people serve pie for dessert at the end of the Thanksgiving dinner. While some family chooses to serve vegetarian food such as vegetarian turkey which is made out of tofu and prefers to eat salads, or fruits and vegetable dishes. Since Turkey is the common dish and it is eaten on Thanksgiving Day, it is also ludicrously called the turkey day.
- The Wishbone:- Some families include breaking the turkey’s wishbone as a part of their celebrations. The wishbone is usually linked to the breast meat in the turkey’s chest. After the meat has been separated from the wishbone and it has had a chance to become wizened and brittle, two people each take one end of the bone, make a wish, and pull. And it is believed that whosoever ends up with the larger part of the wishbone gets their wish fulfilled.
- The Turkey Pardon:- Every year at the occasion of Thanksgiving, the president of the United States receives a gift of alive turkey (along with an alternate in case something happens to the official turkey). At a White House ceremony, the president traditionally “pardons” the National Thanksgiving Turkey and the alternate turkeys, allowing them to live out the rest of their lives on a farm.
- Supporting others:-Many generous folks use Thanksgiving as an opportunity to help the less fortunate people. Some people volunteer to serve food at homeless shelters on Thanksgiving Day and others donate to shelters or participate in canned food drives.
- Television:- Television also plays a very important part in Thanksgiving Day celebrations. Many families sit together and watch the New York City Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. The parade comprises of floats, marching bands, music, and performances from Broadway musicals and giant helium-filled balloons.
Check:- ThanksGiving Travel Deals
History of Thanksgiving Day:
Thanksgiving came into view as the harvest festival. ThanksGiving Day is being celebrated since 1789 officially when George Washington declared it. The celebration of Thanksgiving is extensively a feast to express their gratitude for the fruits of the previous harvest. In America specifically, it started in the early 1600’s. There’s always some debate on when the first Thanksgiving was, but many think it was in 1621 when the harvest was celebrated by the Pilgrims-Dutch settlers of the Plymouth Colony in what’s now called Massachusetts. This fest lasted three days and was attended by 90 Native Americans and 53 pilgrims and since then the Thanksgiving Day evolved so much.
Thanksgiving Day has been celebrated as federal holiday every year since 1863. We are thankful to God for all what he has given to us and for all the blessings and basically, we thank the farmers, because of them only we are able to get a successful harvest. In India and in Sri Lanka, Thanksgiving Day is known as Thai Pongal and it is known differently in other parts of the world but everyone celebrates it with full vigor and enjoyment because one should do so.
May your ThanksGiving 2018 be filled with Love, Peace, Joy Happiness & Laughter!!!
Check:- When is ThanksGiving 2019
Please bookmark the page as we are coming up with some highly discounted deals and offers for you if you are planning for a vacation with a family or searching for the best sites to do online shopping.
iMYFONE SOFTWARE DEALSGet 20% OFF on any software purchased from iMyFone
Iphone Data Recovery, Iphone Data Eraser, Iphone Cleaner, ITunes Repair Tool, iMYFONE Lock Wiper
(USE COUPON CODE:- XDT-37H)
DEAL ENDS:- 31 DEC 2018
HOSTING DEALS25% Discount on all orders over £50
Grab Professional Web Hosting for Starter Prices
USE COUPON CODE: HLQAVUIX
DEAL ENDS:- 31 DEC 2018Free .co.uk and .uk Domains (1 Year Only)
DEAL ENDS:- 21 DEC 2018
TRAVEL DEALSCelebrate Thanksgiving with Hotels.com and save up to 40%! Book by 11/22, Travel by 12/27
DEAL ENDS:- 23 NOV 2018Thanksgiving Sale! Save upto $45 on Flight Bookings.
NOTE:- Minimum 3 person required to avail full amount.
DEAL ENDS:- 30 NOV 2018
USE COUPON CODE: THANKS45
APPLIANCESSave 5%–40% on Select Small Appliances for Thanksgiving!
DEAL ENDS:- 18 NOV 2018