If you wish to convert a Blu-ray movie or a DVD into a file, to keep it safe as a backup or save it in any medium, then a DVD ripping tool is what would come handy. After processing through the software, the file hence obtained can act as a backup of any of the DVD content. For movies and all, the DVD can be converted as a file which can be played in smartphone or tablet.
Some of the software’s can cost you for money and come paid because of all the additional and unique features they have. While some for provided to you absolutely free of cost and won’t charge you a penny for the services and features they provide. But, let us tell you in advance, they are limited as compared to the paid ones but mind you, they are of tough competition. We will, here, discuss some of the Best DVD Rippers for Windows.
1. The Best DVD Rippers– WinX DVD Ripper [Editor’s Choice]
WinX DVD Ripper is the Best DVD Rippers software which is specially designed for Windows/Mac users and has the capability of ripping any DVD to the hard drive. It even has the capability of ripping ISO images to the hard drive. This software’s built-in functions include, rip DVD to mp4, H.264, AVI, HEVC, MPEG, MOV, and M2TS. It also has the features in which you can convert any kind of DVD into files which can be played in Apple (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes), Android (Samsung, Huawei, Nexus, Kindle), Microsoft (Xbox, Windows Phone, Surface) and Sony. With this software, you can even copy your DVD’s library to Plex Media Server, NAS drive, etc. You can rip DVD without compressing or compromising the quality of the content in it, and even backup DVD into an MPEG2 file within 5 minutes thanks to the unique level-3 hardware acceleration tech.
This software Best DVD Rippers has a huge number of users with eventually more than 350 profiles created. If you wish to know the number of modes available for you, you will be provided with 4 unique DVD copy modes.
- Ready-made presets for all popular video audio formats and devices.
- Fast DVD ripping speed and quality.
- Support all kinds of DVDs: homemade, old scratched, damaged, commercial, workout DVDs, ISO images, DVD folders, etc.
- Customize options available: select or disable subtitles before ripping DVD, edit DVD movie, adjust frame rate, resolution, bit rate, etc.
- Constantly updated with the ability to support every new DVDs and device launched into the market.
- 4 DVD copy modes to make 1:1 DVD backup.
- Crisp interface, easy to use even for beginners.
The trial version has 5 min-limitation, but you can get a free license key to unlock all limits.
This software is not limited to a particular operating system user i.e. this software supports Linux, macOS, and windows. WinX DVD Ripper was built up in the year 2003 and is available free of cost to the public and, is an open-source transcoder to rip any kind of video files. This software can rip any kind of DVD into any story device you wish to. Since the year it has been set up, there have been many revisions and updates provided to the software.
- Hardware acceleration: Quick Sync Video and video coding engine are among some of the best feature provided by this software, i.e. GPUs and APUs of this system comprises of sip blocks which can calculate the video coding with great accuracy.
- Transcoding: The file hence obtained can be customized as per your desire. You alter the bit rate, maximum file size etc keeping the quality constantly.
- Batch: this software even supports batch encoding with the help of a graphical user interface and command-line interface.
- Sources: this software can read any kind of DVDs and eventually rip them, though it is a bit laid back when we use Blu-ray discs for a change. It does not have the capacity of ripping any Blu-ray video and can do so only with the help of a third party
- Old interface, complicated for beginners
- Only support common DVDs, for protected DVDs, you need to install libdvdcss (Learn more about how to install Handbrake libdvdcss)
- Limited output formats and profiles
MakeMKV makes itself outstanding in all DVD ripping tools thanks to its extremely simple operations. Like WinX DVD Ripper, you just need to insert discs, choose an output format and go. A good feature is that MKV supports reading Blu-ray discs, although it is only available for the beta version. You need to buy a license key after 30-day free trial.
- Support Blu-ray discs
- Easy to use for new users
- Fast DVD ripping speed
- Only allow converts DVDs to MKV files, not support popular format like MP4, AVI, HEVC, MP3, etc.
- Few customize settings
A lot of people use VLC as a free media player, but it is also capable of ripping general DVD discs and ISO images to MP4, MP3, iPod, Android, etc. The whole DVD ripping process is completely free but a little complicated. (Check how to rip DVD with VLC)
- Free to use
- Available for many platforms
- Only support common DVDs
- Few output formats and profiles
- Few customize settings
5. Xilisoft DVD Ripper
This software also has the great ability to rip literally any video or audio to any file type viewable in all kind of devices. You can even edit the DVD movies which you wish to rip. This software has an additional feature of adding subtitle to the DVD which can be in any language as per your demand.
Convert Home DVD to HD Videos
Clip Home DVD into Segments
Choose Subtitle & Audio Track
Join Titles and Chapters
Smart Edit Video
Directly Transfer to Devices
- Cannot auto-detect the main title of the DVD, you need to find it by yourself
- Cannot rip/convert DVD with copyright
- Slow DVD ripping speed
All the above mentioned ripping software’s are the best among themselves and are the reason why they are considered and given the place of the top 5 Best DVD Rippers for windows user. You may choose the best software as per your wish as every software is sure to fulfil your demand and give you great end results.